7.24.2007

coloured out and emergency room

my life has suddenly turned crazy. not that it wasent crazy before. its just that for a few weeks now its been relatively calm. but now im surrounded by 1600 colors. to pick from. to paint with. i am painting the entire first floor of my house with a total of 8 different colors.

dont ask.

in the end, it should have a nice feel to it. some strange feelings, some nice, a bit of warm, a bit of cool, and a bit shocking. now everywhere i go i notice the colors. color color colour.

to add to it, at about 3 am monday morning i started carving away at my arm. literally. i decided in my sleep deprived, cleaning toxin - high brain to remove a wart in my arm with a knife. i wont go into the details, but lets just say i got pretty deep. so deep, that in fact, i freaked out. to add to the drama, the hole in my arm is in between my forearm and bicep where theres a lot of veins and important body things. i am a fool. so i drove myself to the emergency room full of embarrassment and total regret. at first the nurses looked at me like i was silly for being there when i told them what the problem was, but when i removed the self applied bandages, they were taken aback. one man said..."wow, you really did a good job at that." (what is that supposed to mean?!?) and of course, i got chewed out by every one of them. but it was a good time to practice humility. i went there because i was afraid of infection getting into my arm and causing... loss of a limb or something. it turns out i need to let it heal from the inside out. they didnt want to sew it up. so they gave me some antibiotics, some special gauze that promotes skin growth, some liquid with germ killer or something, and instructions as to how to tend to my self-inflicted laceration. i really hope it heals soon. but im guessing it will take a month or so. and im taking pictures every day for those of you in the medical field.

so why am i sharing this?

well i wanted to share a few very valuable lessons ive learned in the last few days, that will remain with me for a lifetime:
1) do not, EVER, try to remove a wart yourself.
2) do not use x-acto blades on your body, nor on other bodies.
3) twenty-six year old boys should not even own x-acto blades that are assessable at 3 am, especially when they are high from cleaning substances used to clean kitchen sinks.
4) picking out colors is no easy task.
5) the colors on the color swatches dont look the same on the wall.

oh and someone told me to write a poem about color. ill take a stab at it (though i should really stop "stabbing")

color.
oh you charmer
like a girl
so full of flavor and spice
so beautiful on the paper

but on my wall you stare at me with scowl
you clash
you change the room, just by being in it
and i love you

if only
i could find the right one
that one with warmth that sooths
that brightens up and invites
the one i like.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, man! I am sorry about your ER visit Jared. But please don't cut on a wart ever again. Unless you plan to follow-up with a strong of chemical treatment after cutting, the likelihood of getting every single cell is slim, and it will simply grow back, filling in your entire wound. (I had a bad experience with a plantar wart and an unknowing dermatologist when I was a young teen. It grew back even larger than before, and later attempts by a podiatrist to treat it were soooo painful.) Anyway, I hope you heal quickly.

Can't wait to see your new place. Do you need painting assistance?

Christina said...

congrats on the poem. i now challenge you to write one only suing paint color names.

as to the cutting warts out yourself that falls into "running down the street in a dangerous neighboorhood scantily clad" category.

TQ said...

when i was in my no-sleep-phase i was using an exacto a lot. I had to continually remind myself of the danger of this object. And your story will now be a very graphic reminder...are you gonna post the healing pix?

jared said...

S - see lesson #1. at this point i just want to heal, i could care less about the warts.

no i dont need painting assistance. i love painting. my OC side of me shines while painting.

C - honestly i dont want to look at any more color names for a while :)

wish i had a transcript of the dangerous running convo. that was a good one.

TQ - the healing pics are really gross. no i wont post them. i will email them to you if you want though.

Pete said...

cmon man....one should always tape up paint samples in the native environment so that you can tell the true color that will show up on the wall!

jared said...

yes pete. but.

a) the color samples are small. and my imagination lacks.

and

b) the paint does not always match the color sample.

TQ said...

jared, just send me one really good pic, perhaps the view from the emergency room. Then I'll know once an for all how crazy you are.
oh, and Pete is my friend. I had him read your blog bc it is very entertaining.

jared said...

TQ - i will.

does pete have a brother named pete?

Pete - do you have a brother named pete?

TQ said...

Pete does not have a brother named Pete, but I did teach our Peruvian roommate the Pete and and Repeat riddle and made her say it to him over and over until Pete went INSANE!
Or maybe not the last part.
send the pic!