9.15.2010

Pretty Bird

Interestingly enough, a good friend recommended that I watch the movie "Pretty Bird." I think it had something to do with this blog: Rocketpack...As the movie is about the Bell Rocket Belt that was invented 40 years ago, and then re-made about 15 years ago. But then disappears.

And so the movie goes as its "inspired by true events"

I think I noticed somewhere that the movie received bad reviews by a lot of folk. I dont know about that. I tend to think one can learn a lot from movies. Theres only a few that Ive seen that I will write off, and usually its because there is absolutly no redeptive quality or they are just plain offensive. (I suppose one could argue that a comedy has little redemptive quality. And I would be prepared to argue against such.)

Pretty Bird...I have been thinking about it. I am intrigued by two of the main characters. One seems to be obsessed with inspirational talks, messages and speaking. He seems to have speech problems and constantly works to make himself sound perfect. He practices a lot. Tonation, delivery, word choice etc. I like him. He IS inspiring. I also like him because he is so insecure and tries so hard to adapt. He practices a lot and I like that effort he puts in. I like him because he reminds me of me and of many people out there.

The second character I really like is the engineer. Obviously I like him as well and he reminds me of me as well too. He is an older gentleman that has worked for 20 years as an inventor of sorts and people have stolen his ideas and he seemingly got the shaft. He works with passion too. He stays at work late, striving hard, obsessed with making his rocket belt perfect. You can tell its a personal experience for him. Then there comes a moment that someone might take it away and give him the shaft again and he looses it. You learn that he feels superior in a sense because he built the thing. And rightly so...to some degree. Sure, he has the gift of learning, studying, practicing, building and perfecting a rocket pack. He can boast a little. I feel for this man. He worked so hard and it was truly him that made the rocket belt a reality.

Guy 1 just marketed it. Guy 2 built it. But could they have done it without each other?
It makes me think about a lot of things. Maybe you too.

No comments: