10.15.2007

robotic love

i read this article recently that describes how in the near future "robots will become so human-like in appearance, function and personality that many people will fall in love with them, have sex with them and even marry them."

i pause there.

something seems really strange and twisted and perverse about falling in love with robots, having sex with them and marrying them. even just falling in love with robots is bad enough. my initial thought is: "yeah right! go ahead and try falling for a robot..i dare you." but, then i hesitate and realize that our twisted world is really that fallen; i bet people could fall for a robot. the article brings up two points of why one could fall for a robot:

"one thing that prompts people to fall in love are similarities in personality and knowledge, and all of this is programmable."

"Another reason people are more likely to fall in love is if they know the other person likes them, and that's programmable too."

is this really what falling in love is all about? is this all i need to do? find someone similar in personality? in knowledge? and know that they like me? But if i found someone that was just like me personality wise, and had the same knowledge i do. then they would be just like me!? so i guess i should just make a robot of myself. then ill fall in love with my robotic version of myself, have sex with it, and marry it.

then the world would be at peace.

or not. no matter how i work around this whole robotic love thing, it just does not work, and it just shows me more and more and more how terrible things are getting. and how terrible things could get. sometimes i hate technology.

in the meantime, i might put an add in the paper:

"Looking for someone w/ different personality, different knowledge. must love dogs. not expecting to like me. must be non-robotic."

3 comments:

Basement Ink. said...

I have some thoughts about "Robot Love." There once was a Robot named Johnny Five that I cared about deeply and even cried at times when he was deep in peril. You can't tell me my emotional connection with a fake robot from a movie wasn't real and heartfelt...because it was.

dena said...

wow. those two ideas of why you could fall for a robot make me (re)realize two things about us(me): 1) we're selfish. we love people like us. and 2) we're easily deceived. we like people who like us, even if they really don't.

jared said...

basement ink -

does your wife know of this?